POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft is still at it Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Microsoft is still at it (Message 11 to 20 of 57)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Microsoft is still at it
Date: 13 Sep 2009 05:56:20
Message: <4aacc1c4$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> Yet everything I've heard, people like it much better after actually
> using it for a day.

It's a PITA though if your main job involves only occasional use of
Office, and you have the old stuff at home... That sucks.

>> That's why I prefer vi and emacs:  solid, well-grounded 30+ years
>> interface
>> design... ;)

Yuck^2 !

You can only learn to love *that* interface if you're locked up in a
room with no more than a Linux computer locked down in such a way that
the only way of interacting with the outside world is via the vi
interface - for a *month* at least!

Even then, I suspect it will cause mental defects and emancipate dental
fillings in semi-rare cases :-P

Post a reply to this message

>> Yet everything I've heard, people like it much better after actually
>> using it for a day.
>
> It's a PITA though if your main job involves only occasional use of
> Office, and you have the old stuff at home... That sucks.

Well, switching back and forth is annoying, but if it's only occasional use
it's really not that much of a problem. It's not like one memorizes
keystrokes as in vi or emacs.

This is exactly my situation, and it's really not a problem.

> You can only learn to love *that* interface if you're locked up in a
> room with no more than a Linux computer locked down in such a way that
> the only way of interacting with the outside world is via the vi
> interface - for a *month* at least!

Ehn. I learned vi back when emacs' execution size was bigger than the
address space available in real mode and vi would run in 64k. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> Yet everything I've heard, people like it much better after actually
> using it for a day.

Having it installed and used for something like 2 months hasn't been
enough for me. The basic idea seems to work, but there are options that
I just can't find (eg. security level for running macros in Excel).

I'm not a heavy user on MSO, though, but when I use it, I usually do
something normal users don't...

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

> You can only learn to love *that* interface if you're locked up in a
> room with no more than a Linux computer locked down in such a way that
> the only way of interacting with the outside world is via the vi
> interface - for a *month* at least!
>
> Even then, I suspect it will cause mental defects and emancipate dental
> fillings in semi-rare cases :-P

After having to use Vi for couple of hours, I even efforted to find
Vi-compatible editor for Windows to use at work. It's just so fast and
practical - somehow <esc>:w! is faster than ctrl+s for me (technically
it should be just the opposite).

http://www.winvi.de/en/download.html

-Aero

Post a reply to this message