POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 194 to 203 of 223)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 5 Sep 2009 20:29:25
Message: <4aa30265@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Chambers schrieb:
>> Only if you assume 'char' to be a text character, rather than an 8 bit
>> byte (which is what it really is, just as 'int' isn't really a true
>> integer, but rather a register-sized word on whatever machine you're
>> compiling for).
>
> I really must object here for nitpicking's sake:

I have been pwned :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 5 Sep 2009 20:33:35
Message: <4aa3035f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I always assumed the cables themselves were insulated.
>>
>> Seriously, are we running uninsulated wires above our roadways?!?!? :o
>
> Yes, just look for "hit power line" on YouTube and you'll see plenty of
> random stuff (mostly trees) touching power lines and sparking or
> creating fires.

But trees encroach on power lines all the time.  I can look out my
window and see half a dozen...

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Sep 2009 23:43:22
Message: <4aa32fda$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> Another way to look at it is that poisonous animals

[snip]

Yes, now *that* makes sense. I knew there had to be a reasonable progression
of changes.  I hadn't really integrated the idea of the predators evolving
in step with the prey.

> Finally, only animals that are poisonous *when eaten* (or maybe, low on
> the food chain) tend to be brightly-colored. Animals that use poison to
> *kill their prey* (or, high on the food chain) are not brightly-colored.

That I'd noticed, yes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)