POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Sep 2009 00:09:10
Message: <4aa335e6@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> I don't recall the monolith being on the moon... Then again, I have
> slept a few times since seeing the movie, so maybe I'm wrong.

That was actually the whole point of the section between the Apes and
Discovery.

There Russians on the Pan-Am flight were asking Floyd about the
possibility of a viral outbreak on the moon-base, because the Americans
had closed their base to all visitors.  When he gets to the moon, it's
revealed that the virus was a cover story to hide the fact that they had
found a monolith on the moon.

The monolith then sent a radio transmission (remember the astronauts
holding their ears in pain? the transmission was picked up on their
headsets) to Jupiter.  This directly led to the Discovery mission, which
was really supposed to study the Monolith (and HAL was instructed to lie
to the Discovery crew about it).

...Chambers