POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Sep 2009 02:03:12
Message: <4aa350a0$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> The monolith then sent a radio transmission (remember the astronauts
> holding their ears in pain? the transmission was picked up on their
> headsets) to Jupiter.

Indeed, the monolith sent the radio transmission when sunlight hit it for
the first time after it was buried back in pre-history. (And according to
the book, it was found due to a "magnetic anomoly" which was presumedly the
circulating currents holding the energy for the transmission, altho I don't
remember if that was mentioned in the movie.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)