POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Great video about open-mindedness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Great video about open-mindedness (Message 12 to 21 of 41)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Great video about open-mindedness
Date: 4 Sep 2009 13:06:52
Message: <4aa1492c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> If I drove around the city with a bumper sticker saying "Obama should die"
>> I'd probably get arrested. (Maybe not charged with anything, but certainly
>> inconvenienced.) But since these nut-case preachers are getting on national
>> TV and saying they're asking *GOD* to kill Obama, it's apparently not a
>> problem for the secret service to look into.
>
>   The solution to that problem is not getting rid of religion, but removing
> their special protected status.

Yes, I'd agree with that. But that's hard to do without marginalizing it in
the first place. The whole point of religion is that it's a special
protected status for those that practice it. (Well, mostly. Jews may
disagree with that. :-)  Certainly if you manage a good level of secularity
in your country, that makes religion much more palatable to those who aren't.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
> Won't fix the problem entirely, since religion isn't the only place this
> happens.

  That's certainly true. Seeing political campaign speeches from the US,
I can't see any significant difference from charismatic christian gatherings.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> If I drove around the city with a bumper sticker saying "Obama should die"
>> I'd probably get arrested. (Maybe not charged with anything, but certainly
>> inconvenienced.) But since these nut-case preachers are getting on national
>> TV and saying they're asking *GOD* to kill Obama, it's apparently not a
>> problem for the secret service to look into.
>
>   The solution to that problem is not getting rid of religion, but removing
> their special protected status.

Religion could keep it's otherwise protected status if they could just
be held responsible. I am all for people believing what ever they want,
but if they pray hard enough and a hurricane hits my house because I am
immoral or some other disagreeable term, I should be able to drag them
to court for setting their unmonitored deity loose on my property.

I bet that deity hasn't even had it's vaccinations.

Post a reply to this message