POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Great video about open-mindedness : Re: Great video about open-mindedness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:09:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great video about open-mindedness
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Sep 2009 13:06:52
Message: <4aa1492c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> If I drove around the city with a bumper sticker saying "Obama should die"
>> I'd probably get arrested. (Maybe not charged with anything, but certainly
>> inconvenienced.) But since these nut-case preachers are getting on national
>> TV and saying they're asking *GOD* to kill Obama, it's apparently not a
>> problem for the secret service to look into.
>
>   The solution to that problem is not getting rid of religion, but removing
> their special protected status.

Yes, I'd agree with that. But that's hard to do without marginalizing it in
the first place. The whole point of religion is that it's a special
protected status for those that practice it. (Well, mostly. Jews may
disagree with that. :-)  Certainly if you manage a good level of secularity
in your country, that makes religion much more palatable to those who aren't.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)