POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Idle dreams (Message 41 to 50 of 60)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Idle dreams
Date: 28 Aug 2009 08:54:47
Message: <4a97d397$1@news.povray.org>
> Where in the name of God can you get 12 Mbit/sec? I thought 8 was the
> maximum that ADSL supports...

Had 16 at home for the last 18 months...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2009 08:58:36
Message: <4a97d47c$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Where in the name of God can you get 12 Mbit/sec? I thought 8 was the
>> maximum that ADSL supports...
>
> Had 16 at home for the last 18 months...

Interesting. Most of the people I know have 2 Mbit/sec or less.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2009 09:13:28
Message: <4a97d7f8$1@news.povray.org>
>> More realistic physics and AI!
>
>  If you tune down the physics and AI because the CPU is not fast enough
> to calculate them, you will be drastically changing gameplay. It would not
> be just a cosmetic change. I have never heard of any game doing that

Sure, but don't you think the minimum system requirements for CPUs in games
will continue to increase?  Game developers are not going to be satisfied to
just stick with what they have at the moment.

>  Thus after a certain point, when your current CPU can calculate the
> physics and AI just fine, adding more cores won't change anything.

I can't even begin to imagine any point where a CPU will be able to
calculate physics perfectly without cutting any corners.  Every increase in
CPU speed will result in more realistic and believable physics with fewer
short-cuts.  For starters you need non-ridid bodies for large objects,
realistically deformable terrain and better collisions.  They all need more
CPU cycles.

Post a reply to this message

>> Had 16 at home for the last 18 months...
>
> Interesting. Most of the people I know have 2 Mbit/sec or less.

They are all well below the average of 3.6 then:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/brspeeds

Post a reply to this message