POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Speaking of conspiracy theories (Message 41 to 50 of 133)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
Date: 1 Aug 2009 07:21:08
Message: <4a742524$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   That's precisely the PC-ideology speaking: "It's not a valid test of
> *anything*". That's BS. Of course it's a valid test of *something*, and
> more precisely, something related to people's brains. You might not like
> the implications, but that doesn't change the fact. Simply wishing the
> tests were completely irrelevant doesn't make it so.

I think the argument goes something like "there are exceptions that
prevent using this xyz as a convenient, over-generalised measure to
which we can refer without having to actually think about it (read: use
in sensationalistic news stories), THEREFORE it must be incorrect in
EVERY case!".

Yes, an IQ test is not perfect, nor do we fully understand every
intricate detail of how the brain works or all the qualitative factors
of 'intelligence'.  This doesn't mean we should look the other way
instead of using the most efficient tool for getting a reasonably
accurate comparison of individuals, so those who genuinely need
assistance due to mental disability can get it.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

> I think the argument goes something like "there are exceptions that
> prevent using this xyz as a convenient, over-generalised measure to
> which we can refer without having to actually think about it (read: use
> in sensationalistic news stories), THEREFORE it must be incorrect in
> EVERY case!".

  I liked the analogy someone used:

  In average women have bigger breasts than men. Just because *some* men
have bigger breasts than *some* women doesn't change the fact.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message