POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Tell me it isn't so! (Message 454 to 463 of 473)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Tell me it isn't so!
Date: 11 Aug 2009 12:29:26
Message: <4a819c66@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:25:39 -0400, Daniel Bastos wrote:

> In article <4a81821d@news.povray.org>, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:26:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> That's good. I don't know what I'd do without public libraries.
>>
>> I used to spend a lot of time at the library when I was younger, but
>> not so much now.  I just got my new library card a few months ago, so
>> maybe that'll change.
>>
>> We do have a very good library system here in Utah, one of the best in
>> the US (so I hear).
>
> I used to think that no one could beat Ohio. New Jersey certainly
> doesn't. Do you know how much Princeton would charge you for a library
> card you being a non-student? Some 300 dollars per semester! Call them
> to check.
>
> I figured it would be a lot better to go to the library, have a look at
> books I *might* want to read a substantial part of, and just buy them
> off of the Internet. How many books does one read in a semester?

I'd believe that.  Libraries are funded by taxpayer dollars, so if you're
not a taxpayer, you typically would have to pay for a card (or just not
be allowed to use the resources).

Something along these lines was highlighted recently on The Colbert
Report - a kid who was helping the library promote reading ended up being
determined to be not located in the area where taxes went to paying for
the library, so his card was revoked.  He did later get it back, though,
after a stink was raised in the press (and Colbert helped with that no
doubt).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 11-8-2009 18:29, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:25:39 -0400, Daniel Bastos wrote:

>>> I used to spend a lot of time at the library when I was younger, but
>>> not so much now.  I just got my new library card a few months ago, so
>>> maybe that'll change.
>>>
>>> We do have a very good library system here in Utah, one of the best in
>>> the US (so I hear).
>> I used to think that no one could beat Ohio. New Jersey certainly
>> doesn't. Do you know how much Princeton would charge you for a library
>> card you being a non-student? Some 300 dollars per semester! Call them
>> to check.
>>
>> I figured it would be a lot better to go to the library, have a look at
>> books I *might* want to read a substantial part of, and just buy them
>> off of the Internet. How many books does one read in a semester?
>
> I'd believe that.  Libraries are funded by taxpayer dollars, so if you're
> not a taxpayer, you typically would have to pay for a card (or just not
> be allowed to use the resources).
>
> Something along these lines was highlighted recently on The Colbert
> Report - a kid who was helping the library promote reading ended up being
> determined to be not located in the area where taxes went to paying for
> the library, so his card was revoked.  He did later get it back, though,
> after a stink was raised in the press (and Colbert helped with that no
> doubt).

Call me a stupid foreigner, but if he wasn't within the area of this
public library he was within that of another one and not using that
facility. It is all taxpayer money one way or another, so what is the
point here?

Post a reply to this message