POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Tell me it isn't so! (Message 214 to 223 of 473)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Tell me it isn't so!
Date: 25 Jul 2009 20:14:16
Message: <4a6b9fd8$1@news.povray.org>
David H. Burns wrote:
> P.S. It may well be that programming itself is easier than understanding
> a written program.

Funny enough, lumps of glass and metal can understand a written program, but
we've not been able to get any silicon chips to actually be able to write
significant programs.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: David H  Burns
Date: 25 Jul 2009 21:05:57
Message: <4a6babf5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> David H. Burns wrote:
>>> It is fundamentally difficult.
>> I disagree strongly!
>
> How much do you know about it?

I have programmed a lot, albeit all small stuff. More complex programs
are of course more difficult
and OOP may be justified if it makes that more easily. Programming
should not be restricted
to "professional programmers" anymore than writing a paragraph should be
restricted to
professional writers!

>> And applied mathematics is in general not fundamentally difficult.
>
> Sure. That's why they teach it in grade school.

Now you're just being silly! In fact they *do* teach it in grade school.
Two apples plus
three apples equals five apples.

I think I'm going to cut out. This thread has become to personal.
It was fun though. Thanks to all who participated! :)

David

Post a reply to this message

>> P.S. It may well be that programming itself is easier than
>> understanding a written program.
>
> Funny enough, lumps of glass and metal can understand a written program,
> but we've not been able to get any silicon chips to actually be able to
> write significant programs.

I don't see how this comment applies, but at this point, it doesn't matter.
I'm sorry if I hurt some feelings. :)

David

Post a reply to this message