POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: David H  Burns
Date: 26 Jul 2009 15:02:44
Message: <4a6ca854$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> "David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
>>> This, to me, sounds like saying "Chess isn't hard, only the opponents are!"
>>>
>> This is a poor analogy. In chess the major difficulty is the opponent,
>> but there is no opponent in programming.
>
> Well, the task to solve with the program is, sort of. And in practice it *is* by
> far the major difficulty.
>
> Possibly not though if you're programming only as a small hobby.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean "The task to accomplish
with the
program is the major difficulty in practice.", I agree and that would be
true for
projects large or small, professional or hobby. The difficulty of a
programming task
is determined by the nature of the task not the difficulty of
programming per se. But
even an easy programming task can be made difficult by programming tools
that are
difficult to use.

As I said in another post, I'm about ready to cut out of this thread. I
don't want to quit
without reiterating what a wonder program Pov-Ray is. My hat's off to
anybody and everybody
who contributed to making it what it is. I couldn't have done a tiny
fraction of it -- to tell the truth,
I never would have conceived of it or thought it could be done if I had!

David