POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity (Message 79 to 88 of 98)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
Date: 14 Jul 2009 08:17:05
Message: <4a5c7741@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> On 07/13/09 10:12, Warp wrote:
> >    In Finland in particular, it has been *officially* and *explicitly* stated
> > that deep-linking is legal and prohibiting it has no legal basis. Yet there
> > are tons of Finnish company websites out there with the prohibition in their
> > license agreement.

>         What about where I link to an image, and make it appear as if it is on
> my site?

  Are you claiming authorship or ownership of the image? That's a different
law.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Jul 2009 08:24:25
Message: <4a5c78f9@news.povray.org>
> This happened with patents on loading coils and fiber optics, both of which
> waited 20 years to get incorporated into the phone systems, for example.

  Good thing it was 20 years, then, and not eg. 50, or else we wouldn't
have cellphones today. ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 14 Jul 2009 11:49:40
Message: <4a5ca914$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/14/09 00:12, Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> cede ownership to the owners of the newsgroup?
>
> Oh, and newsgroups don't have owners. :-)

	These ones do, don't they?

--
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small.

Post a reply to this message

>>          What about where I link to an image, and make it appear as if it is on
>> my site?
>
>    Are you claiming authorship or ownership of the image? That's a different
> law.

	Some may see it as my claiming ownership. To any viewer who does not
examine the source, it will be part of my web site.

--
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small.

                     /\  /\               /\  /
                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

>>> cede ownership to the owners of the newsgroup?
>>
>> Oh, and newsgroups don't have owners. :-)
>
>     These ones do, don't they?

I suppose in some sense, yes. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

>>>          What about where I link to an image, and make it appear as
>>> if it is on
>>> my site?
>>
>>    Are you claiming authorship or ownership of the image? That's a
>> different
>> law.
>
>     Some may see it as my claiming ownership. To any viewer who does not
> examine the source, it will be part of my web site.

In the USA, you can get into copyright violation for that. You've
essentially copied the image on the hosting site and put it on yours.

It's weird, because copyright isn't about technology, but about the behavior
of people.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

>> This happened with patents on loading coils and fiber optics, both of which
>> waited 20 years to get incorporated into the phone systems, for example.
>
>   Good thing it was 20 years, then, and not eg. 50, or else we wouldn't
> have cellphones today. ;)

Exactly!

Actually, cell phones have been around for something like 50 years, and
mobile phones for close to 100.