POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity : Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:00:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
From: John VanSickle
Date: 15 Jul 2009 07:32:28
Message: <4a5dbe4c@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>> In any event, work-for-hire agreements would be replaced by agreements
>> under which the payee got the first option for licensing.
>
> Yet someone complained about patents, and that's 100% exactly how
> patents work, so I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

Under the current rules, the IP belongs to the employer for the life of
the IP.  Following the US Constitution would make this arrangement
unenforceable, because the law could recognize only the creator's
ownership, and nobody else's.

Granted, the employer could require lifetime licensing as a condition of
employment, but at least if the employer goes bankrupt, the creator
would retain the right to his work, instead of the IP going to some
third party.

Regards,
John