POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Racism in the US (Message 1 to 10 of 105)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Racism in the US
Date: 9 Jul 2009 17:08:50
Message: <4a565c62$1@news.povray.org>
I recently read a story on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/09/philly.pool/index.html

The story is about how a group of black kids were 'expelled' from a pool
because of race.

An interesting quote is:
"He said two other day-care centers, neither of which included minority
children, had previously been similarly disinvited."

So, two groups of kids had been 'disinvited' with no loud complaining.
As soon as the exact thing happens to a racial minority, it becomes a
problem.

I don't know if the action was racially motivated or not - I'm not
judging that.  But it is amazing how people jump to say this is racially
motivated.

Just look at the quote:
"But Duesler told two Philadelphia television stations that the children
had changed "the complexion" and "atmosphere" of the club."

While I can see how this could be a racially charged statement, it could
easily apply to ANY group of people and not be racially charged.

Even with the bias of the article I can see plenty of evidence that the
incident may not have been racially motivated.

I guess people should be sensitive to things like this because it was
such a big problem in the past, and continues to be problem today.  But
at times it seems that it goes a little too far.

I wish people would take the time to understand the facts before passing
judgment.  IMHO much in this article points towards people making snap
judgments without taking time to try to understand what really happened.
  Black group - kicked out by white people - something must be wrong.

Post a reply to this message

> While I can see how this could be a racially charged statement, it could
> easily apply to ANY group of people and not be racially charged.

That's OK. We had politicians getting kicked out because they said they'd
have to be niggardly with the budget, and the ignorant black coworkers
didn't know what the word meant.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."