POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Tom Austin
Date: 10 Jul 2009 09:13:00
Message: <4a573e5c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> While I can see how this could be a racially charged statement, it
>> could easily apply to ANY group of people and not be racially charged.
>
> That's OK. We had politicians getting kicked out because they said
> they'd have to be niggardly with the budget, and the ignorant black
> coworkers didn't know what the word meant.

I do remember way back in high school physics that we discussed the term
jerry-rig.  Our teacher reasoned that 'jerry' was a racial slur and
shouldn't be used.  So he suggested that 'billy-rig' was a better term -
referring to West Virginia hill billys.  Since we were in Virginia, it
was a better term than 'jerry-rig'