POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Racism in the US (Message 91 to 100 of 105)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Racism in the US
Date: 16 Jul 2009 08:31:51
Message: <4a5f1db7@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Without knowing the motives for not wanting a black man as president,
> > it's impossible to say whether those motives are racist in nature or not.

> If your reason for not wanting someone as president is *because* he's black,
> that's racist.

  But it might not be that this person is prejudiced against black people or
has any ideology against them. In other words, it's not necessarily because
he opposes a black person being the president per se.

  What else could it be, you may ask? Maybe he doesn't oppose a black
president per se, but he fears he will get sick and tired of all the
racist boasting around the country if it happens, ie. that many people
will celebrate that a black person was finally elected president (as if
skin color was all that important), and other people would oppose him
vocally for racist reasons.

  Maybe what he meant was that a black president would be ok the day when
there is *no* racism whatsoever in the country, in which case skin color of
the president is exactly as unimportant as eye color or hair color. Before
that a black president might only cause furor, both pro and con.

  (No, I don't know the motives this person had to say that, but I'm just
saying that it could be *plausible* that he is not being a racist.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   What else could it be, you may ask? Maybe he doesn't oppose a black
> president per se, but he fears he will get sick and tired of all the
> racist boasting around the country if it happens,

I'll grant you that.

But, trust me, it wasn't that. :-)

The people around him, for example, were carrying signs reading "It's the
*white* house!"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

> The people around him, for example, were carrying signs reading "It's the
> *white* house!"

  Curious. In Finland you would get arrested for such an open display of
racism (one of the few situations where that law is used *correctly*,
I suppose). I'm surprised it's not the same in the US.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message