POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US : Re: Racism in the US Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Racism in the US
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jul 2009 19:35:51
Message: <4a5fb957@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 07/16/09 16:20, Darren New wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>> So if you publicly say racial slurs, and then later you beat a black
>>> guy,
>>> you will get a extra punishment even though the reason for beating him
>>> might
>>> not have been racist?
>>
>> I wouldn't think so. I think if you beat up a black guy *while*
>> screaming racial slurs, then (say) tie him to a fence, kick him to
>> death, then paint racial slurs on the corpse, you'll be accused of a
>> "hate crime". (Yeah, real example, only with gays rather than blacks.)
>
>     You're arguing an extreme.
>     If a person has a proven penchant for saying racist things,

I'm not sure how much you're allowed to bring that sort of thing into
question, if it didn't happen during the actual commission of the crime.

I was just saying that there are clearly cases where it's a hate crime, and
clearly cases where it isn't, and you'd have to look at the individual cases
and lawyers prosecuting them to see how they turn out if it's not extreme.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."