POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  O RLY? (Message 1 to 10 of 109)
From: Invisible
Subject: O RLY?
Date: 8 Jul 2009 10:22:39
Message: <4a54abaf@news.povray.org>
http://www.jconline.com/article/20090708/NEWS09/90708007

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: O RLY?
Date: 8 Jul 2009 10:58:22
Message: <4a54b40e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> http://www.jconline.com/article/20090708/NEWS09/90708007

No, actually not. The Internet (the master source of information - the
one that's never wrong) told me that the Chrome OS will just be another
desktop environment for Linux. Which is reasonable, it's probably pretty
much easier than carving the whole OS from wood and they'll get theier
part of OS-markets pretty much faster. But they should call it Linux if
they really base it on Linux (due to the license Linux is using - AFAIK
license is one of the main reasons OSX is based of FreeBSD).

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

> The Internet (the master source of information - the
> one that's never wrong) told me that the Chrome OS will just be another
> desktop environment for Linux.

The article above states the same thing.

> Which is reasonable, it's probably pretty
> much easier than carving the whole OS from wood and they'll get theier
> part of OS-markets pretty much faster. But they should call it Linux if
> they really base it on Linux (due to the license Linux is using - AFAIK
> license is one of the main reasons OSX is based of FreeBSD).

Indeed. Google aren't the sort of people you'd think of doing a real OS.
 From what the article says, this is a trivial Linux front-end. (Indeed,
I suspect it's probably going to consist of little beyond an ordinary
Linux distro with Chrome instead of a real desktop manager.)

The article states "Google is going for Microsoft's financial jugular
with this move". Erm, no, not really, no. This is aimed at netbooks; why
would M$ care about that? It's not where they make their money. Perhaps
it's where they might *like* to make money some day, but currently every
single netbook I've seen is running Linux anyway. (Unsurprising, given
that the whole point of a netbook is to be as cheap and nasty as
possible, and Linux is free...)

Looks to me like an excuse for somebody to write a news article. It *is*
a slightly odd more for Google though... [Hey, I guess they know a thing
or two about usability?]

Post a reply to this message

> much easier than carving the whole OS from wood

... which Microsoft is already doing in their own project for low-cost
computers ...

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western