POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : O RLY? : Re: O RLY? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: O RLY?
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Jul 2009 22:09:22
Message: <4a555152$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Indeed. Google aren't the sort of people you'd think of doing a real OS.
> From what the article says, this is a trivial Linux front-end. (Indeed,
> I suspect it's probably going to consist of little beyond an ordinary
> Linux distro with Chrome instead of a real desktop manager.)

It's actually even more limited than their Android OS, because it won't
support Java (just Javascript via the Chrome browser).  Not to mention,
it won't come with either KDE or Gnome, so there goes most of the Linux
software right off the bat.

Not to mention, they'll do everything possible (from what I've read) to
keep you from running any real applications other than the Chrome browser.

It's an extremely specific OS, with one purpose only, and as such it
will only be usable on Netbooks.

> This is aimed at netbooks; why
> would M$ care about that? It's not where they make their money.

MS is, I believe, selling XP licences for Netbooks for quite cheap.
However, that's only a stopgap measure until W7 is released.

> Looks to me like an excuse for somebody to write a news article. It *is*
> a slightly odd more for Google though... [Hey, I guess they know a thing
> or two about usability?]

So was releasing the Android OS, or the Chrome browser.  If you look at
what they're doing, though, they're slowly taking over every part of
your life.

First, they managed search for you.  Then, it was email.  Then driving
directions.  Then documents.  Then calendars and schedules.  Then chat.
  Now, with the Chrome browser, they handle your online interactions (I
use it and, apart from a few minor squibbles, I quite like it).  With
the Chrome OS, they'll completely control your computer.

Google: Microsoft Done Right (tm).

--
Chambers