POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 220 to 229 of 279)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 11 Jul 2009 05:23:30
Message: <dgmg55l2h66dkcfg9n4l98paqnf8pb11hq@4ax.com>
On 11 Jul 2009 03:14:51 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Well, if I were a cynic, I'd say that the point of religion is to

Gosh! I must be a cynic too then. Although I would substitute "organised"
religion for religion.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 11 Jul 2009 05:58:04
Message: <4A58622D.1080407@hotmail.com>
On 11-7-2009 9:21, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:38:32 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> An agnost is someone who thinks that he *can* not know the answer to
>> fundamental questions like the existence of one or more Gods. That is
>> fundamentally different from someone who merely does not know, or
>> doesn't care.
>
> Well, yes and no.  It may be that we cannot know the answer to these
> questions, but the acknowledgment that one doesn't know (or doesn't care)
> is a type of manifestation of the same line of thinking, at least from my
> point of view.

I think the difference is significant. "I don't know" implies that you
can still look for an answer, whereas "I can't know" means that the
search ended. The former means that you are open to suggestions from
others who claim that they know more, whereas the latter is a sound
basis to build your own ethics.
I don't like the "I don't care".

Post a reply to this message