POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: andrel
Date: 11 Jul 2009 05:58:04
Message: <4A58622D.1080407@hotmail.com>
On 11-7-2009 9:21, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:38:32 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> An agnost is someone who thinks that he *can* not know the answer to
>> fundamental questions like the existence of one or more Gods. That is
>> fundamentally different from someone who merely does not know, or
>> doesn't care.
>
> Well, yes and no.  It may be that we cannot know the answer to these
> questions, but the acknowledgment that one doesn't know (or doesn't care)
> is a type of manifestation of the same line of thinking, at least from my
> point of view.

I think the difference is significant. "I don't know" implies that you
can still look for an answer, whereas "I can't know" means that the
search ended. The former means that you are open to suggestions from
others who claim that they know more, whereas the latter is a sound
basis to build your own ethics.
I don't like the "I don't care".