POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The future will be ok! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  The future will be ok! (Message 31 to 40 of 49)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The future will be ok!
Date: 1 Jul 2009 01:15:29
Message: <4a4af0f1$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> when lacking nutrients around them, produce some solid
> substance around them and "hibernate"

It's called a "spore". Hence the name of the game. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 1 Jul 2009 01:26:07
Message: <4a4af36f$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> In contrast, poor humans have more children than rich humans. How does this
> make sense, aren't humans supposed to be *smarter*?

Children are a resource, but they themselves require a great deal of
resources to develop.

In agrarian cultures, the ROI on children makes it into the black fairly
quickly.  All you have to do is feed them for a few years (less than
10), and then they begin working for you.

In developed countries, you have to feed them for 20 years (or more), in
addition to paying for their education (potentially as much or more than
your house, *per child*).  Although the potential return is so much
higher than in agrarian cultures, fewer people are willing (or able) to
undertake the necessary cost.

Of course, you still have economic strata in developed countries.  The
higher classes are not willing to let their children do worse than the
current generation, and so invest more in their children.  This raises
the inherent cost, making children even less attractive economically.

The poorer classes, however, are more than willing to let their kids "do
without," substituting an inferior education (or forgoing it entirely),
and even sacrificing nutritional quality.  This brings the cost per
child down dramatically.

Now, I'm not saying that anyone (or at least, most people) sit down and
figure out how much their kids will cost before deciding whether or not
to have them, but it's interesting how well the economic cost
corresponds to family size.

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message