POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nikon D90 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Nikon D90 (Message 41 to 50 of 76)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Nikon D90
Date: 28 Jun 2009 22:19:15
Message: <4a4824a3$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>     Graininess. As in you can take pictures at ISO 800 or higher and not
> worry about too many dots showing up.

On film, or digital? I think film is much less grainy than digital. It does
much better in low light.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 28 Jun 2009 22:32:56
Message: <4a4827d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/28/09 21:19, Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>> Graininess. As in you can take pictures at ISO 800 or higher and not
>> worry about too many dots showing up.
>
> On film, or digital? I think film is much less grainy than digital. It
> does much better in low light.

	That's not the conventional wisdom. Good DSLR's have very little
graininess at ISO 800. Really good ones have little even at 1600 ISO.

	I'm wondering if you're confused with long exposures leading to noise.
CCD's have some "inherent" noise that gets brighter the longer the
exposure (and always on the same spots from photo to photo). This was a
bigger problem for digital non-SLR's. The solution was to take _two_
exposures: One the "actual" exposure, and the other a totally dark one
(shutter doesn't open) of the same time. Then subtract the noise.

	Most good digital cameras have a mode where it does all this for you.

--
"I think not," said Descartes, and promptly disappeared.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message