POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP MJ Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  RIP MJ (Message 31 to 40 of 75)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: RIP MJ
Date: 28 Jun 2009 13:41:30
Message: <4a47ab4a@news.povray.org>
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:22:14 -0600, somebody wrote:

> > Interesting idea indeed. Would you also obfuscate the race and even sex?

> I think it might depend on the case - for example, a murder or assault
> that has a "hate crime enhancement" would be difficult to prosecute if
> you didn't know the victim's race or the racial idiosyncrasies of the
> defendant.

  IMO in cases where the concept of "hate crime" is involved, it would
be specially important to conceal the ethnicities of the involved parties.
People have demonstrably bias on who can commit hate crimes against who.

  Of course in practice this would be impossible to conceal. For example
statements made by the accused would need to be presented to the jury,
which would in most cases immediately reveal the ethnicities involved.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> He was accused of actual inappropriate behaviour, and from the little I
> read, it seemed there was evidence of such inappropriate behaviour.

  Yes, I know. I was just commenting on your "he had problems as regards
kids", which sounded like "he might have been attracted to them in an
inappropriate way".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I think it might depend on the case - for example, a murder or assault
>> that has a "hate crime enhancement" would be difficult to prosecute if
>> you didn't know the victim's race or the racial idiosyncrasies of the
>> defendant.
>
>    IMO in cases where the concept of "hate crime" is involved, it would
> be specially important to conceal the ethnicities of the involved parties.
> People have demonstrably bias on who can commit hate crimes against who.

	I was about to say something similar.

	But to be honest, I don't want to say it definitively. I'd like to say
this (Warp's approach) should be the default, but there should be room
to argue in front of the judge for it *not* to be on a case by case
basis (i.e. if the particular case has some elements where one really
needs to know).

	But really, there are probably lots of factors I have not considered.
(Armchair arguments...)

>    Of course in practice this would be impossible to conceal. For example
> statements made by the accused would need to be presented to the jury,
> which would in most cases immediately reveal the ethnicities involved.

	That too. Come to think of it, in many cases, trying to adhere to this
would be a mess. At times, I'd rather it be openly stated rather than
have juries "figure" it out based on testimony.

--
Mike: I used to think correlation implied causation. Then I took a
statistics class. Now I no longer think that.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message