POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP MJ : Re: RIP MJ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP MJ
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 28 Jun 2009 13:49:06
Message: <4a47ad12$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/28/09 12:41, Warp wrote:
>> I think it might depend on the case - for example, a murder or assault
>> that has a "hate crime enhancement" would be difficult to prosecute if
>> you didn't know the victim's race or the racial idiosyncrasies of the
>> defendant.
>
>    IMO in cases where the concept of "hate crime" is involved, it would
> be specially important to conceal the ethnicities of the involved parties.
> People have demonstrably bias on who can commit hate crimes against who.

	I was about to say something similar.

	But to be honest, I don't want to say it definitively. I'd like to say
this (Warp's approach) should be the default, but there should be room
to argue in front of the judge for it *not* to be on a case by case
basis (i.e. if the particular case has some elements where one really
needs to know).

	But really, there are probably lots of factors I have not considered.
(Armchair arguments...)

>    Of course in practice this would be impossible to conceal. For example
> statements made by the accused would need to be presented to the jury,
> which would in most cases immediately reveal the ethnicities involved.

	That too. Come to think of it, in many cases, trying to adhere to this
would be a mess. At times, I'd rather it be openly stated rather than
have juries "figure" it out based on testimony.

--
Mike: I used to think correlation implied causation. Then I took a
statistics class. Now I no longer think that.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl