POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random interesting musical stuff Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Random interesting musical stuff (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Random interesting musical stuff
Date: 22 Jun 2009 21:26:15
Message: <4a402f37$1@news.povray.org>
While playing around with a new feature in Rockbox (a feature I helped
somewhat in the development - called "time stretching" - ie, playing a
track back at a speed that was different than the original speed without
adjusting pitch - and in the final implementation, being able to adjust
the pitch without adjusting the speed of playback), I happened across the
following article:

http://home.earthlink.net/~douglaspage/id86.html

I was looking for some sort of a guide to adjust the playback of some
Bach violin solos (Partida #4) to get a sound that was closer to what the
instrument would've been tuned to in Bach's day.

The last section of the paper was the relevant information - and some
history that none of my music history classes really touched upon other
than to say "tuning was traditionally flat compared to modern tuning".

Jim

Post a reply to this message

"[...]the superior olivary nucleus, a wavy band of grey matter within
the brain's medulla oblongata."

WIN!

> The last section of the paper was the relevant information - and some
> history that none of my music history classes really touched upon other
> than to say "tuning was traditionally flat compared to modern tuning".

http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/364

(Note the date of posting.)

Post a reply to this message

>> The last section of the paper was the relevant information - and some
>> history that none of my music history classes really touched upon
>> other than to say "tuning was traditionally flat compared to modern
>> tuning".
>
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/364

Also:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Music_intervals_frequency_ratio_equal_tempered_pythagorean_comparison.svg