POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random interesting musical stuff : Re: Random interesting musical stuff Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random interesting musical stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jun 2009 04:05:40
Message: <4a448154@news.povray.org>
>>> The last section of the paper was the relevant information - and some
>>> history that none of my music history classes really touched upon other
>>> than to say "tuning was traditionally flat compared to modern tuning".
>> ...although...they could have just meant that the reference pitch was
>> traditionally lower. ;-)
>
> Well, yeah, that was probably how it was phrased.  It's been a generation
> since I took those classes - memory ain't what it used to be. :-)

Yes - considering that the equal tempered scale tunes almost every
interval *sharp* of the Pythagorean scale, not flat. ;-)

But yeah, apparently the reference pitch has undergone a kind of "pitch
inflation" over the centuries. Strings tuned to higher pitches sound
brighter and more brilliant, leading to a slow gradual upwards trend...