POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Building a new PC (Message 11 to 20 of 51)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Building a new PC
Date: 19 Jun 2009 15:41:36
Message: <4a3be9f0@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Heh... I'm saying that about my 2.4ghz p4, now.. :/

Sorry.... 2.6ghz

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Jun 2009 16:00:54
Message: <4a3bee76@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, this flash game runs slowly enough that it's unplayable on
> my home PC, but my office PC, which has the same CPU speed, but is a
> Core 2 Duo runs it fine. I can't figure out why my processor seems to be
> slowing down, though.

  Which OS are you using? If Windows, what kind of maintenance do you
perform on it? For example, have you checked what programs start themselves
at startup? Have you tried defragmenters, registry and disk clenup, and
other such things? (And of course virus and adware scanning should be
rather obvious.)

  Have you checked your CPU temperature? Does the CPU fan tend to run much
faster nowadays than years ago? Assuming it's working properly, of course.
(A relatively remote, although plausible, explanation for real, rather than
perceived, slowdowns is that the P4 and newer processors actually decrease
their own clockrate if they become dangerously overheated. However, usually
you should notice this long before it happens, as the CPU fan will start
spinning like mad. Assuming it's working properly, of course.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Which OS are you using? If Windows, what kind of maintenance do you
> perform on it? For example, have you checked what programs start themselves
> at startup? Have you tried defragmenters, registry and disk clenup, and
> other such things? (And of course virus and adware scanning should be
> rather obvious.)

Vista ... and yeah, I'm pretty anal about system maintenance. I watch
CPU usage very closely. I do have an errant task from the printer
sometimes that I have to kill. My startup apps are generally things I
want running/ need running.

>   Have you checked your CPU temperature? Does the CPU fan tend to run much
> faster nowadays than years ago? Assuming it's working properly, of course.
> (A relatively remote, although plausible, explanation for real, rather than
> perceived, slowdowns is that the P4 and newer processors actually decrease
> their own clockrate if they become dangerously overheated. However, usually
> you should notice this long before it happens, as the CPU fan will start
> spinning like mad. Assuming it's working properly, of course.)

I did this last night, in fact, while running a CPU intensive program,

throttling. The fan is running fine, though the heatsink was clogged
with dust, cleaned that out, No change in temp. I'm wondering if I need
new heatsink goop at this point

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Heh... I'm saying that about my 2.4ghz p4, now.. :/

> but my office PC, which has the same CPU speed, but is a
> Core 2 Duo runs it fine.

A single core from the Core 2 architecture (Core 2 Solo?) is significantly
faster than a single core from the P4 architecture, even at the same clock
speed.

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> I did this last night, in fact, while running a CPU intensive program, and

> throttling. The fan is running fine, though the heatsink was clogged with
> dust, cleaned that out, No change in temp. I'm wondering if I need new
> heatsink goop at this point

Check in Control Panel -> System for the clock rate, it should say something
like "E8500 @ 3.16 GHz 3.17 GHz".  One of those numbers is the "name" of the
processor, the other is the actual clock speed at that instant.  If the CPU
is throttling then one of the numbers will be lower.

Post a reply to this message

> A single core from the Core 2 architecture (Core 2 Solo?) is significantly
> faster than a single core from the P4 architecture, even at the same clock
> speed.

Yes, by a long way IIRC.

Post a reply to this message