POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC : Re: Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a new PC
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 19 Jun 2009 16:11:52
Message: <4a3bf108$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Which OS are you using? If Windows, what kind of maintenance do you
> perform on it? For example, have you checked what programs start themselves
> at startup? Have you tried defragmenters, registry and disk clenup, and
> other such things? (And of course virus and adware scanning should be
> rather obvious.)

Vista ... and yeah, I'm pretty anal about system maintenance. I watch
CPU usage very closely. I do have an errant task from the printer
sometimes that I have to kill. My startup apps are generally things I
want running/ need running.

>   Have you checked your CPU temperature? Does the CPU fan tend to run much
> faster nowadays than years ago? Assuming it's working properly, of course.
> (A relatively remote, although plausible, explanation for real, rather than
> perceived, slowdowns is that the P4 and newer processors actually decrease
> their own clockrate if they become dangerously overheated. However, usually
> you should notice this long before it happens, as the CPU fan will start
> spinning like mad. Assuming it's working properly, of course.)

I did this last night, in fact, while running a CPU intensive program,

throttling. The fan is running fine, though the heatsink was clogged
with dust, cleaned that out, No change in temp. I'm wondering if I need
new heatsink goop at this point

--
~Mike