POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Building a new PC : Re: Building a new PC Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Building a new PC
From: Warp
Date: 19 Jun 2009 16:00:54
Message: <4a3bee76@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, this flash game runs slowly enough that it's unplayable on
> my home PC, but my office PC, which has the same CPU speed, but is a
> Core 2 Duo runs it fine. I can't figure out why my processor seems to be
> slowing down, though.

  Which OS are you using? If Windows, what kind of maintenance do you
perform on it? For example, have you checked what programs start themselves
at startup? Have you tried defragmenters, registry and disk clenup, and
other such things? (And of course virus and adware scanning should be
rather obvious.)

  Have you checked your CPU temperature? Does the CPU fan tend to run much
faster nowadays than years ago? Assuming it's working properly, of course.
(A relatively remote, although plausible, explanation for real, rather than
perceived, slowdowns is that the P4 and newer processors actually decrease
their own clockrate if they become dangerously overheated. However, usually
you should notice this long before it happens, as the CPU fan will start
spinning like mad. Assuming it's working properly, of course.)

--
                                                          - Warp