POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That time again [100 KB] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  That time again [100 KB] (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: That time again [100 KB]
Date: 19 Jun 2009 11:11:10
Message: <4a3baa8e$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Yay! I suck. :-}

I'm assuming you're just being silly. I'm giving you an example of what an
editor would do for you. It's criticism along the lines that "this is so
well written it's worth my time helping you polish it so it doesn't have any
of the tiny flaws that stick out like splinters on an impressively artistic
wood carving."  If the paper wasn't already excellent, I wouldn't be
bothering to point out where you spelled a word wrong.

When you're done, put it up somewhere and put the URL in your resume. This
is the sort of stuff you should be putting in your resume. You do it very
well, and as you say some of your actual paid work doesn't sound very
impressive on a resume and you can't point a URL at the impressive paid work
you do.

>> Add a concluding section, and explain in the abstract why someone
>> might want to read the paper. These are two parts of any paper that
>> are difficult to get right.
>
> You're telling me...!

Let me give an example of an abstract and conclusion *I* would write for
your paper, just to offer a perspective.

The abstract should say "this is what I'll talk about and why you should
bother to buy/download/read the rest of the paper."  The conclusion should
say "this is what I covered and I expected you to get, and if you didn't,
you should read more carefully.

Again, take this as constructive suggestions from someone who spent years
learning to write this sort of paper, submitting them to panels of editors,
and getting rejected. ;-)

Abstract:
This paper describes a programming technique which is common in functional
languages like Haskell but not widely used in imperative and object-oriented
languages: the construction of combinator libraries. This powerful technique
is introduced by way of the concrete example of a parser for text. Such
parsers are common in all programming languages, so the contrast between the
mechanisms used in functional paradigms with other paradigms will be easily
recognized by programmers unused to functional concepts. Targeting readers
for whom combinator libraries are a new concept, simple common syntax is
used in the examples, leaving the introduction of Haskell's syntax to the
end. No knowledge of Haskell or functional programming is required.

Conclusion:
This paper has introduced the reader to the concept from functional
programming called a combinator, as well as given an example of how
combinators can be collected into libraries to create sophisticated tools
from a collection of simple operations. A combinator library for parsing
strings is developed and explained. The result has a uniquely functional
flavor that is unlike the solutions other paradigms would employ.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

> an editor would do for you. It's criticism along the lines that "this is
> so well written it's worth my time helping you polish it so it doesn't
> have any of the tiny flaws that stick out like splinters on an
> impressively artistic wood carving."  If the paper wasn't already
> excellent, I wouldn't be bothering to point out where you spelled a word
> wrong.

Yeah, I got that part. ;-)

> When you're done, put it up somewhere and put the URL in your resume.
> This is the sort of stuff you should be putting in your resume. You do
> it very well, and as you say some of your actual paid work doesn't sound
> very impressive on a resume and you can't point a URL at the impressive
> paid work you do.

That's the plan, yes. It's part of the "portfolio" of (debatably)
well-written documents I'm building. (You might remember the one a while
ago on sorting/searching? I still have that.)

> The abstract should say "this is what I'll talk about and why you should
> bother to buy/download/read the rest of the paper."  The conclusion
> should say "this is what I covered and I expected you to get, and if you
> didn't, you should read more carefully.

With most of the stuff I write, it's hard to think of a justification
for anybody bothering to waste their time reading what I wrote. But the
conclusion makes sense. ;-)

> Abstract:
> This paper describes a programming technique which is common in
> functional languages like Haskell but not widely used in imperative and
> object-oriented languages: the construction of combinator libraries.
> This powerful technique is introduced by way of the concrete example of
> a parser for text. Such parsers are common in all programming languages,
> so the contrast between the mechanisms used in functional paradigms with
> other paradigms will be easily recognized by programmers unused to
> functional concepts. Targeting readers for whom combinator libraries are
> a new concept, simple common syntax is used in the examples, leaving the
> introduction of Haskell's syntax to the end. No knowledge of Haskell or
> functional programming is required.

...damn, you're good. o_O

> Conclusion:
> This paper has introduced the reader to the concept from functional
> programming called a combinator, as well as given an example of how
> combinators can be collected into libraries to create sophisticated
> tools from a collection of simple operations. A combinator library for
> parsing strings is developed and explained. The result has a uniquely
> functional flavor that is unlike the solutions other paradigms would
> employ.

You've done this before. :-P

Hmm... clearly I'm going to have to devote some serious attention to my
existing two documents. ;-)

Post a reply to this message