POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That time again [100 KB] : Re: That time again [100 KB] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That time again [100 KB]
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jun 2009 11:39:03
Message: <4a3bb117$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> That's the plan, yes. It's part of the "portfolio" of (debatably)
> well-written documents I'm building. (You might remember the one a while
> ago on sorting/searching? I still have that.)

Yes. Cool. I bet folks here would help you polish them up again.

It always helps to go back a month later and read it again, too.

> With most of the stuff I write, it's hard to think of a justification
> for anybody bothering to waste their time reading what I wrote.

Nonsense.

> ...damn, you're good. o_O

Practice.

In grade school, we started in (IIRC) seventh grade.
7th: Here's the topic. Come back next week with a rough draft of a 2-page paper.
8th: Here's the topic. Come back next week with a rough draft and finished
2-page paper.
9th: Here's the topic. Come back with an outline for a 2-page paper, and
write the paper in class.
By 12th grade, it was "here's the topic. You have 20 minutes to turn in an
outline and finished paper on the subject 2 pages long."

I guess it's unusual, because I keep running into people all thru college
and life that *can't* sit down with a topic (even one they're familiar with)
and just start writing somehting interesting about it.

> You've done this before. :-P

*That* is the sort of stuff a PhD teaches you, more than anything technical.

> Hmm... clearly I'm going to have to devote some serious attention to my
> existing two documents. ;-)

Yes.  And think up some abstracts/conclusions for other papers you might
want to fill in some day, and ask "would you read this if this were the
abstract?"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western