POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  So ... when is "piracy" wrong? (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Shay
Subject: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
Date: 9 Jun 2009 16:51:25
Message: <4a2ecb4d@news.povray.org>
A. Download an out of print album from Usenet.
   B. Record a television program with a dvr and skip the commercials.
   C. Cable f's up during a favorite television program - go find a
torrent and download it.
   D. Download an album you know you'd never buy out of morbid curiosity
(Chris Cornell with Timbaland)
   F. Play a Shoutcast stream at a party.

There are some who believe we MUST put every portion of a cent someone
might be owed into his pocket no matter how many hoops we must go
through to get it there. That is a supportable argument, but there is
another side to it.

Where would the world be if we all individuals demanded everything WE
are owed?

I got rear-ended by a wealthy man just yesterday. He was very apologetic
and offered me not only his insurance and business information (senior
VP at a financial firm most would have heard of), but his personal cell
number as well. However, there is no apparent damage to my $8k car.
Nevertheless, I feel I have a moral and legal right to be a pest about
it: to force him or his insurance company to paint the tiny scratches on
my bumper and send me to the hospital for x-rays.

But I won't be a pest about it. In turn, I'll do what I can to prevent
others from pestering me about dumb shit. Life's too short, and there
has to be SOME limit to what others "owe" me and I "owe" them for every
TINY liberty we take with one another.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message