POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? : Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
From: andrel
Date: 9 Jun 2009 17:33:15
Message: <4A2ED51B.3040701@hotmail.com>
My guesses:
On 9-6-2009 22:49, Shay wrote:
>   A. Download an out of print album from Usenet.
I think that used to be legal at least for books. Nowadays it is
probably illegal. Morally it is no problem. Even cleaner: try to contact
the artist (not the IP holder if that is a different one) and ask him
how to pay him directly.
>   B. Record a television program with a dvr and skip the commercials.
Morally and legaly ok, you can always record what is broadcast for
yourself, don't give or sell to others.
>   C. Cable f's up during a favorite television program - go find a
> torrent and download it.
Morally equivalent to B from your point of view. Illegal from the other
guys POV.
>   D. Download an album you know you'd never buy out of morbid curiosity
> (Chris Cornell with Timbaland)
I'd say both morally and legally not OK
>   F. Play a Shoutcast stream at a party.
illegal, but that might change. The rules as they are now are
increasingly illogical. It may also depend on whether the party is
inside your house for friends only or accessible to anybody.

> There are some who believe we MUST put every portion of a cent someone
> might be owed into his pocket no matter how many hoops we must go
> through to get it there. That is a supportable argument, but there is
> another side to it.
>
> Where would the world be if we all individuals demanded everything WE
> are owed?
>
> I got rear-ended by a wealthy man just yesterday. He was very apologetic
> and offered me not only his insurance and business information (senior
> VP at a financial firm most would have heard of), but his personal cell
> number as well. However, there is no apparent damage to my $8k car.
> Nevertheless, I feel I have a moral and legal right to be a pest about
> it: to force him or his insurance company to paint the tiny scratches on
> my bumper and send me to the hospital for x-rays.

I think I object to that 'moral right' here, but I am not an US-citizen.
  Perhaps you should not tell anybody in case they want to force you to
pester him anyway.