POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So ... when is "piracy" wrong? : Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So ... when is "piracy" wrong?
From: andrel
Date: 9 Jun 2009 18:22:21
Message: <4A2EE09C.60907@hotmail.com>
On 9-6-2009 23:42, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:33:15 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> My guesses:
>> On 9-6-2009 22:49, Shay wrote:
>>>   A. Download an out of print album from Usenet.
>> I think that used to be legal at least for books. Nowadays it is
>> probably illegal. Morally it is no problem. Even cleaner: try to contact
>> the artist (not the IP holder if that is a different one) and ask him
>> how to pay him directly.
>
> Depends on whether the book is legally out of copyright or not.  There is
> a very large collection of free books at the Gutenberg project, and all
> of them are legally available to be distributed for free.

I think that here it use to be that case that if a book was definitely
out of print you could copy it copyright or not. IANAL
>>>   F. Play a Shoutcast stream at a party.
>> illegal, but that might change. The rules as they are now are
>> increasingly illogical. It may also depend on whether the party is
>> inside your house for friends only or accessible to anybody.
>
> No, I believe this is legal, as long as the shoutcast stream is also
> legal.  For example, if you run the server in your house, and you legally
> own all the tracks, then how you listen to them is up to you.

I think the idea was playing a shoutcast for a group. That is
broadcasting and even if the shoutcast/radio has paid you are obliged to
pay *again*. We had on apartment buildings large antennae that would
distribute the radio and television to the apartments, in stead of
having an antenna for every apartment. That turned the owner(s) of the
apartment building into a broadcasting organisation that had to pay
copyright. The law may be different in the US (or here in the 21st century)