POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crazy ideas for Monday morning Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Crazy ideas for Monday morning (Message 60 to 69 of 69)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Crazy ideas for Monday morning
Date: 15 Jun 2009 12:19:09
Message: <4a36747d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:34:25 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Heh. Almost makes it sound like I could just sit here, write some crap
>>> about crap, give it to a publisher and make a stack of money. :-D
>>>
>>> I rather doubt it's quite that easy though... ;-)
>>
>> Have you read some of the crap that gets published?  The trick is to be
>> able to just toss the rejection letters out and move on to the next
>> publisher until you find one that is willing to publish the crap.  :-)
>
> Heh. When I was at uni, we discovered that our Java lecturer had
> published a Java book. It was on Amazon, and not one reviewer had
> anything good to say about it. ;-) Apparently it was riddled with
> spelling and gramatical errors, sentences that didn't make sense,

Sounds like the publisher did a crap job in hiring an editor.  The
process I went through for my books was that Peter and I wrote (Peter's
primary language in Chinese), sent it in for a technical and editorial
review, and then the results were sent back for us to accept or reject
the proposed changes.

> factual inaccuracies, and example programs that either didn't compile or
> didn't work properly. (You could arguably blame some of that on the
> rapidly changing Java APIs...)

Ouch.

>>> Like I said, I'm looking at Oxford. I'd prefer not to move to Bristol
>>> or Leeds, but Oxford would probably be OK.
>>
>> Oh, were you thinking of moving if you got the job in Oxford?  If so,
>> that's a great step forward. :-)  But I'm talking about broadening your
>> search to find something that leverages your skills regardless of
>> location.
>
> Yeah, but, finding a job in a reasonable location is a higher priority
> than finding a job that's a "perfect" match for my skills. I mean, what
> does it matter how good the job is if I have to live in Leeds to get it?
> I might as well stay where I am.

Well, no job is likely to be a perfect skills match, so yes, both are
considerations.  As are salary, benefits, expected hours worked, etc.

Jim

Post a reply to this message