POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! (Message 78 to 87 of 87)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
Date: 6 Jun 2009 20:25:27
Message: <4a2b08f7$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 18:14:53 -0500, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Which is this:  Many, many people live a full lifetime in the US and
>> don't sue anyone.  My grandfather never sued anyone (to my knowledge)
>> and lived a full life.  And he's very *very* unlikely to do so now.
>
> 	I agree with your bigger point. A more relevant statistic would
be how
> many people go through their whole lives without _being_ sued.

Quite possibly, because there are those who sue more than once, or groups
of people who sue individuals and corporations in large numbers.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 8 Jun 2009 14:18:14
Message: <4a2d55e6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, they probably are considered some sort of non-profit organization
> (IIRC, they are considered a fraternal organization with officers), but I
> think they would be required by law to have an employer ID number if they
> paid their officers a salary.

Would it be legal to stipulate that employees may only be a member if
their "group?"

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:15:01 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Well, they probably are considered some sort of non-profit organization
>> (IIRC, they are considered a fraternal organization with officers), but
>> I think they would be required by law to have an employer ID number if
>> they paid their officers a salary.
>
> Would it be legal to stipulate that employees may only be a member if
> their "group?"

I wouldn't know, I suppose you could, for example, in a religious
institution require that workers there need to be members, but I'm not
sure how that applies to an organization like this.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I wouldn't know, I suppose you could, for example, in a religious
> institution require that workers there need to be members, but I'm not
> sure how that applies to an organization like this.

That was kind of what I was talking about. Nobody seems to think it's silly
to let a church require religious people to fill particular roles. But if
you ask the same thing about a "nasty" group that's just as protected under
US law, I can see people getting bent out of shape.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:56:03 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I wouldn't know, I suppose you could, for example, in a religious
>> institution require that workers there need to be members, but I'm not
>> sure how that applies to an organization like this.
>
> That was kind of what I was talking about. Nobody seems to think it's
> silly to let a church require religious people to fill particular roles.
> But if you ask the same thing about a "nasty" group that's just as
> protected under US law, I can see people getting bent out of shape.

Yeah, I can see that point of view.

Jim

Post a reply to this message