POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : UK mains voltage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  UK mains voltage (Message 1 to 10 of 67)
From: Invisible
Subject: UK mains voltage
Date: 4 Jun 2009 05:41:30
Message: <4a2796ca@news.povray.org>
OK, so what *is* the correct mains voltage in the UK?

I was always taught at school that the mains was exactly 250V. But I
can't find any documents anywhere which claim that this is the case.

According to Wipikedia (which is never wrong), the original
specification was

   240V +/- 6%

This was then revised to

   230V +10% / -6%

and then revised again to

   230V +/- 10%

which would therefore allow anything between 207V to 253V.

So does that *really* mean that all UK equipment is supposed to work
with absolutely any voltage that falls between 207V and 253V?

Post a reply to this message

> OK, so what *is* the correct mains voltage in the UK?

Get a multimeter and a car and you could probably make a nice picture :-)

> I was always taught at school that the mains was exactly 250V.

I never heard that before.

> and then revised again to
>
>   230V +/- 10%
>
> which would therefore allow anything between 207V to 253V.
>
> So does that *really* mean that all UK equipment is supposed to work
> with absolutely any voltage that falls between 207V and 253V?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message