POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : UK mains voltage : UK mains voltage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  UK mains voltage
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jun 2009 05:41:30
Message: <4a2796ca@news.povray.org>
OK, so what *is* the correct mains voltage in the UK?

I was always taught at school that the mains was exactly 250V. But I
can't find any documents anywhere which claim that this is the case.

According to Wipikedia (which is never wrong), the original
specification was

   240V +/- 6%

This was then revised to

   230V +10% / -6%

and then revised again to

   230V +/- 10%

which would therefore allow anything between 207V to 253V.

So does that *really* mean that all UK equipment is supposed to work
with absolutely any voltage that falls between 207V and 253V?