POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Frightening technology (Message 11 to 20 of 70)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Frightening technology
Date: 29 May 2009 04:04:13
Message: <4a1f96fd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> music CDs). Nevertheless, it's still a bad idea: The optical data is just
> there, naked, without any protection,

Sure, it's got protection.  The actual data in written below the surface
of the disc, which is why scratches can be repaired on discs and you
won't lose any data.

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 29 May 2009 04:22:43
Message: <4a1f9b53$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Naked optical media was a braindead idea from the start.
>
>   Classic music CDs work mostly. The data density is relatively low (by
> modern standards at least) and they have so much error correction information
> that the CD has to be *really* scratched before it starts giving errors
> (although I'm pretty sure most people have their own stories about non-working
> music CDs). Nevertheless, it's still a bad idea: The optical data is just
> there, naked, without any protection, and can easily be destroyed inadvertedly
> by scratches, dirt and whatnot. Just accidentally drop the CD and you might
> have a scratch.
>
>   Then they came up with the brilliant idea that hey, we need a new format
> with a lot more capacity than the CD, so let's create the new format to
> have the exact same shape and size as a CD so that players can support both.
> Good idea, except that you get all the problems of a naked optical media
> squared. Cubed. Due to the immensely higher data density, DVDs are like a
> hundred times more prone to get problems due to stains and scratches. Once
> again: Bare naked optical media, no protection whatsoever, extremely easy
> to detroy inadvertedly by accident.

Well, considering all this, I have a vast collection of CDs and my dad
has a comparable collection of DVDs, and they all work absolutely
flawlessly.

Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. :-P

(What I *have* seen is old CD-Rs that stop working after a while. This
presumably is something to do with the ink...)

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom_no_underscores> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > music CDs). Nevertheless, it's still a bad idea: The optical data is just
> > there, naked, without any protection,
>
> Sure, it's got protection.  The actual data in written below the surface
> of the disc, which is why scratches can be repaired on discs and you
> won't lose any data.

Not to mention the box... :-)

Post a reply to this message

> Sure, it's got protection.  The actual data in written below the surface
> of the disc, which is why scratches can be repaired on discs and you
> won't lose any data.

The exception being CD-R, where scratching the label side of the disk
really can scratch off the data...

Post a reply to this message

> Well, considering all this, I have a vast collection of CDs and my dad
> has a comparable collection of DVDs, and they all work absolutely
> flawlessly.

Try a child of your own or a grandchild.

Post a reply to this message