POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 May 2009 13:02:27
Message: <4a201523$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 May 2009 03:45:58 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   Classic music CDs work mostly. The data density is relatively low (by
> modern standards at least) and they have so much error correction
> information that the CD has to be *really* scratched before it starts
> giving errors (although I'm pretty sure most people have their own
> stories about non-working music CDs). Nevertheless, it's still a bad
> idea: The optical data is just there, naked, without any protection, and
> can easily be destroyed inadvertedly by scratches, dirt and whatnot.
> Just accidentally drop the CD and you might have a scratch.

Then it's worth being careful with the things you purchase.

Seriously, that's like saying "buy the extended warranty when you buy a
phone/pda/whatever because you wouldn't want it to get damaged" - last
time I was offered that, I told the seller that unlike most people, I
treat my purchases with care and make sure they're not going to get
dropped.

I have CDs and DVDs that I purchased years ago that I have no problems
with.

Jim