POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:00:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Invisible
Date: 29 May 2009 04:22:43
Message: <4a1f9b53$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Naked optical media was a braindead idea from the start.
>
>   Classic music CDs work mostly. The data density is relatively low (by
> modern standards at least) and they have so much error correction information
> that the CD has to be *really* scratched before it starts giving errors
> (although I'm pretty sure most people have their own stories about non-working
> music CDs). Nevertheless, it's still a bad idea: The optical data is just
> there, naked, without any protection, and can easily be destroyed inadvertedly
> by scratches, dirt and whatnot. Just accidentally drop the CD and you might
> have a scratch.
>
>   Then they came up with the brilliant idea that hey, we need a new format
> with a lot more capacity than the CD, so let's create the new format to
> have the exact same shape and size as a CD so that players can support both.
> Good idea, except that you get all the problems of a naked optical media
> squared. Cubed. Due to the immensely higher data density, DVDs are like a
> hundred times more prone to get problems due to stains and scratches. Once
> again: Bare naked optical media, no protection whatsoever, extremely easy
> to detroy inadvertedly by accident.

Well, considering all this, I have a vast collection of CDs and my dad
has a comparable collection of DVDs, and they all work absolutely
flawlessly.

Doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. :-P

(What I *have* seen is old CD-Rs that stop working after a while. This
presumably is something to do with the ink...)