POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A wonderful example... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  A wonderful example... (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: A wonderful example...
Date: 24 May 2009 11:37:05
Message: <4a1969a1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Assume that there was a forum somewhere about some subject, let's say
> for example about computer graphics, and that there was one or a few
> POV-Ray enthusiasts there who like from time to time express why they
> like POV-Ray so much. Then assume that there was someone who from time
> to time started threads about the flaws of POV-Ray and why it's such an
> inferior renderer compared to other more modern renderers, and one of the
> main reasons why he chooses to point out flaws precisely in POV-Ray is
> because of those few enthusiasts. He knows that he is going to taunt
> those enthusiasts, but nevertheless he continues making those posts,
> even though they really aren't all that relevant.

	Taunt? You know, speaking totally generally and not about C++ (since I
couldn't care less about it), having fans of X every once in a while
posting to a forum about why they love X is as irritating as one who
posts once in a while pointing why X sucks. If I view one as a taunt,
I'd view the other one as well. From my perspective, both have an equal
ability in riling people up. I think one should either accept both kinds
of posts, or neither (I go for the former, since I control what I choose
to read).

	Kind of like someone coming every once in a while and posting why he
likes intelligent design so much. I'd find it totally understandable if
someone else would show up once in a while and write why intelligent
design is such a bad theory. Ditto for evolution.

	It's a forum, and the point is to discuss. If no one liked ID here, and
someone continually posted stuff flaming it, _that_ would get irritating
fast. On this forum, though, there are plenty of people who like
computers, programming languages, etc.

	Note that I'm not saying both are doing something wrong. It's an off
topic forum and if I'm not interested in ones diatribe or love for X, I
just ignore the thread. What's the big deal?

--
Mary had a little lamb, a little beef, and a little ham.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message