POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. (Message 40 to 49 of 49)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc.
Date: 22 May 2009 16:01:51
Message: <4a1704af@news.povray.org>

> >> Instruments and training are expensive, depending on what the musician
> >> plays.
> >
> >   Worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so.

> Instruments, kitting out a studio, staffing it with talented
> professionals, paying their wages while they edit the music down, mix
> it, work with the artist(s) to make it sound right. The guys who send
> the mixdown to the fab where the CDs get pressed. The graphic artists
> who design the cover. The PR people who promote the thing once it's on
> the shelves.

  I'd say something along the lines of 100 *thousand* dollars. Not
100 *million* dollars.

  I'd say three orders of magnitude of difference is even generous.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 May 2009 16:04:46
Message: <4a17055e@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> >   How much does it cost to create one CD of music?

> As much as it costs to create one CD of software. Pennies.

  I didn't ask "how much does it cost to create one CD?"

  I asked "how much does it cost to create one CD *of music*". There's
a big difference. Making the music costs money.

  However, my point is that it costs *nowhere* near the budget of a
blockbuster movie. Not even if you rent an entire opera house and an
entire philarmonic orchestra (which is, btw, what most movies do
*besides* everything else; the music CD doesn't need the "everything
else").

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   Worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so.
>
>> Instruments, kitting out a studio, staffing it with talented
>> professionals, paying their wages while they edit the music down, mix
>> it, work with the artist(s) to make it sound right. The guys who send
>> the mixdown to the fab where the CDs get pressed. The graphic artists
>> who design the cover. The PR people who promote the thing once it's on
>> the shelves.
>
>   I'd say something along the lines of 100 *thousand* dollars. Not
> 100 *million* dollars.
>
>   I'd say three orders of magnitude of difference is even generous.

OK, I think I can agree with that.

It doesn't cost anywhere near as much money to make music as it does to
make a film. (Films, after all, typically *include* music.) I was just
saying that making music is nowhere near as cheap as it sounds.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/