POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. : Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 May 2009 17:59:19
Message: <4a172037$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 22 May 2009 16:00:15 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> >   Worth 100 million dollars? I don't think so.
>
>> Think symphony orchestra.
>
>   All music CDs are created by a symphony orchestra?

<sigh>  No.  It's called an example.

>   Even if it was so, a symphony orchestra does *not* cost 100 million
> dollars. Heck, even an entire opera house built from scratch is probably
> not going to cost that much. (And even if it were, it's not like they
> would have to build one opera house per CD.)

The relative difference in costs still doesn't make it any more or less
right for the rights-holder to protect their investment.  If I invest $1
in something that I own the rights to, I have just as much right to
protect that investment as Warner Bros. does on any film they create.

Jim