POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. (Message 30 to 39 of 49)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc.
Date: 21 May 2009 18:27:10
Message: <4a15d53e@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 21 May 2009 23:06:20 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Web hosting?
>
> You *can* host a website from a laptop in your house, connected to the
> Internet via ADSL. I've done it. But it works *really* badly...

I do it today on 3 Mbps ADSL, works OK for my uses.  Largely depends on
the traffic you're expecting (and that you ultimately get).  Your site
must've been *really* popular. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 May 2009 04:09:08
Message: <4a165da4@news.povray.org>
>> Web hosting?
>>
>> You *can* host a website from a laptop in your house, connected to the
>> Internet via ADSL. I've done it. But it works *really* badly...
>
> I do it today on 3 Mbps ADSL, works OK for my uses.  Largely depends on
> the traffic you're expecting (and that you ultimately get).  Your site
> must've been *really* popular. ;-)

More like... my site is only available when I remember to turn my laptop
back on. (And when my mum doesn't turn it off because the whirring of
the fan is annoying her. Or because she's whining about how much
electricity it uses.)

Actually, 98% of my traffic consisted of HTTP GET requests for a URL
that's about 64 KB long... so, I'm guessing it's trying to exploit some
sort of buffer overrun vulnerability? (Which Apache presumably doesn't
have.)

Post a reply to this message