POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. : Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An excellent screed on copyright, DRM, piano rolls, etc.
From: Invisible
Date: 22 May 2009 04:09:08
Message: <4a165da4@news.povray.org>
>> Web hosting?
>>
>> You *can* host a website from a laptop in your house, connected to the
>> Internet via ADSL. I've done it. But it works *really* badly...
>
> I do it today on 3 Mbps ADSL, works OK for my uses.  Largely depends on
> the traffic you're expecting (and that you ultimately get).  Your site
> must've been *really* popular. ;-)

More like... my site is only available when I remember to turn my laptop
back on. (And when my mum doesn't turn it off because the whirring of
the fan is annoying her. Or because she's whining about how much
electricity it uses.)

Actually, 98% of my traffic consisted of HTTP GET requests for a URL
that's about 64 KB long... so, I'm guessing it's trying to exploit some
sort of buffer overrun vulnerability? (Which Apache presumably doesn't
have.)