POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  The next evolution in P2P (Message 71 to 80 of 110)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: The next evolution in P2P
Date: 10 May 2009 10:35:04
Message: <4a06e618@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>>> Free market != lawlessness/stealing. On the contrary, free market works
> on
>> Never said nor implied that it was.
>
>> Companies try to market the result of artwork. They're free to change
>> their business model to survive.
>
> Something like: If I steal your car, you are free to ride a bike to work.

	Something like: If my car gets stolen, I get to take your money  to
make up for it.

--
He who slings mud generally loses ground.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 10 May 2009 10:35:50
Message: <4a06e646@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>>> Do you blame the actual criminals at all?
>
>> For forcing me to pay extra? Not at all. If their crimes were so
>> serious that the welfare of the society were seriously at stake,
>
> Fine, if you think the crime is not serious and that it doesn't affect
> society, pay the levies, fees and taxes that result.

	False dichotomy.

--
He who slings mud generally loses ground.

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 10 May 2009 11:47:16
Message: <4a06f704$1@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
> Easy enough to ignore a supposed point founded on a shaky supposition
> that
> pirate bay has been "taken down".

I admit I was sloppy in phrasing it that way. Clearly the owners of the
Pirate Bay got in lots of trouble and lost the lawsuit against them after
spending much money.

Whether it's appealed is pretty irrelevant to the point of whether it serves
as a chilling effect on others.

"Taken down" is American slang for "being arrested and convicted", you see.
  As in, "you're going down, expletive!"

> Your light got smothered by a bushel of
> wishful thinking.

Huh?

> (You would agree that you are blatantly against the tenets and
> operations of priate bay, eh?)

Um, no?  I think copyright law is screwed up nowadays, given digital copying
and given active content (e.g., software that enforces its own licenses).

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)