POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 10 May 2009 17:25:51
Message: <4a07465f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Wasn't Google/YouTube forced to actually search for illegal material and
> remove it from search results?

Not to my knowledge. I think they did that because their business model made
it worthwhile. E.g., it's unlikely the studios would let youtube serve music
videos if the studios didn't convince youtube to look for copyrighted
material also.

It's not like google obeys copyright laws, let alone "illegal" material.
It's just that few people call them on it.

> What's to stop the same being enforced
> on any bitTorrent search site with your scheme?

As far as I know, the DMCA in the USA doesn't require someone to actively
look for copyrighted material. You just have to take it down when you get a
letter.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't try to sue the folks who
implemented the DHT subsystem of bittorrent also. It seems to me that was
clearly done to get around the problem of trackers being taken offline by
legal means.

> It seems to me the technicalities of how the search is done is not going
> to matter, if it seems like any site is returning lots of links to
> illegal files (no matter how contrived the link process is) then they
> will be forced to remove the links or shut down.

Possibly. You'd have a far harder time proving it, tho, if the site itself
didn't serve up the descriptions of what the links point to.

Decentralized searching will take care of that, I think. There's no reason
why the .torrent files themselves can't be distributed across all the peers
in the DHT for searching. Then you would actually have to prosecute those
actually doing the sharing. If you have a decentralized repository of bloom
filters migrating around a DHT as machines come and go, I think it would be
difficult to blame someone for serving up links to copyrighted information
they literally can't know about.

Plus, if your encryption is good, you'd have a hard time looking at even a
peer's machine and finding the copyrighted information.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)