POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 13 scientific questions without an answer so far Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:16 EDT (-0400)
  13 scientific questions without an answer so far (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: nemesis
Subject: 13 scientific questions without an answer so far
Date: 28 Apr 2009 16:25:55
Message: <49f76653@news.povray.org>
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html

Truly amusing.  Like the one regarding homeopathy.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2009 16:48:49
Message: <49f76bb1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Truly amusing.  Like the one regarding homeopathy.

I went looking about that one, and found dozens of replications of the
experiment that showed no effect, *except* for when it was done at the
Institute for Homeopathy, where suddenly the effect was found again.

Somehow, I'm not convinced. :-)

I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I say
there's something there.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Truly amusing.  Like the one regarding homeopathy.
>
> I went looking about that one, and found dozens of replications of the
> experiment that showed no effect, *except* for when it was done at the
> Institute for Homeopathy, where suddenly the effect was found again.
>
> Somehow, I'm not convinced. :-)
>
> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
> say there's something there.

oh!  Placebo!  Somehow, the article seems to give the impression that
the researcher was sceptical of homeopathy...

"Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I say
> there's something there.

That's the problem...the whole premise is that it works because you believe
it does.  Being skeptical prevents it from ever working.  ;)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

>> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
>> say there's something there.
>
> oh!  Placebo!  Somehow, the article seems to give the impression that
> the researcher was sceptical of homeopathy...

What part of "replicate" did you miss in my sentence? :-)

(Assuming I'm not misreading what you're trying to imply)
--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
>> say there's something there.
>
> That's the problem...the whole premise is that it works because you
> believe it does.

I take it you didn't actually read the article?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
>>> say there's something there.
>>
>> That's the problem...the whole premise is that it works because you
>> believe it does.
>
> I take it you didn't actually read the article?

Yeah.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>>> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
>>> say there's something there.
>>
>> oh!  Placebo!  Somehow, the article seems to give the impression that
>> the researcher was sceptical of homeopathy...
>
> What part of "replicate" did you miss in my sentence? :-)

Oh, I see.  You want further proof from another skeptical.  Maybe you
only find many proofs from *supporters* because the scientific
stabilishment don't generally enjoy researching into phenomena it can't
explain and end-up with the same Scully-like conclusions as the
skeptical researcher in the article?

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

> I went looking about that one, and found dozens of replications of the
> experiment that showed no effect, *except* for when it was done at the
> Institute for Homeopathy, where suddenly the effect was found again.
>
> Somehow, I'm not convinced. :-)
>
> I'd like to see someone *skeptical* replicate the experiment before I
> say there's something there.

	I was about to ask if someone had replicated it...

--
Lisa: Oedipus killed his father and married his mother.
Homer: Who payed for THAT wedding?

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

> Oh, I see.  You want further proof from another skeptical.

Yes. That's called "repeatability," a fundamental property of scientific
theories.

> Maybe you
> only find many proofs from *supporters* because the scientific
> stabilishment don't generally enjoy researching into phenomena it can't
> explain and end-up with the same Scully-like conclusions as the
> skeptical researcher in the article?

No, actually, I found 14 different laboratories that tried and failed to
repeat the experiment, and one that repeated it twice, that one being the
homeopathy institute. And it was the same scientist repeating it both times,
let alone the same institute.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)